Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yeah, I'm still here!

Okay. I know. I've been ignoring this blog for some time now. However on looking over it's stat's I see that the most popular blog I've ever had on it seems to be the one about my paltry attempt at worm farming.

Well, I may be posting more about the little wigglers. Don't know how soon, though. I've fallen in with the folks over at a place called Community Seeds. They are a faith based organization, which makes me working with them seem odd I know, as I don't rightly care what any one believes about such matters as faith . . . as long as they don't start telling ME what to believe. Then, Bubba, we will have a problem.

As to my association with the C. Seeds folks and the worm farming thing. They started a community garden. They wanted help with it and as they said they wanted it to be as organic as possible I was there! I am one of those of the opinion that the more gardens, for food, for flowers, for the public, that a town or city has the better. Especially if they are organic and sustainable. If you can get some info in there about Permaculture and get the word out about that, why, then it's all good!

Basically I and another lady who is an ex-master gardener in this area, (Ex as she had to stop going to all the meetings for some reason, I think. Or couldn't afford the dues. Or some such) and I got invited to go up to Michigan to learn about this thing called Growing Power. The stuff I saw and learned there was way cool, especially the way they were growing worms. Those feisty little wigglers were everywhere and in every pot of plants they had!

Needless to say those plants were very healthy and happy looking plants. If you want to find out about Growing Power just run the two words to gather and put a dot and 'org' after it. You'll get there. When you do you'll see as I did that the organization is right along the same lines, generally, as Permaculture.

Hey, they both like worms. Check them out. Check out Community Seeds to. Just do a search. I found their site that way.

Community Seeds is planning to use vermiculture and vermicomposting to expand it's community garden plans into bigger and better things. The hope is to eventually use the gardens, worms, hot houses and hoop houses to supply food for the community food pantry and perhaps even a local farmers market. A side issue, tied in with that will be something called transitional housing that will house homeless, jobless or underemployed folks until they learn a job, or get one or better themselves generally. Way I see it if they can be taught to garden in any kind of space they will be way better off than they were, period.

After all that old saw about giving a person a fish or teaching him to fish is even more true of gardening.

All we have to do is survive this drought and start growing stuff and building things. Money would help and they are working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment